Easter Brunch Recipe
Green Coat Catering
- 12 slices home-style white bread, cut into 1 inch cubes, divided
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cold cream cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries divided
- 2 cups half & half
- 12 large eggs
- 1/3 cup Maple syrup
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Generously grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Arrange half the bread cubes in the prepared baking dish. Evenly distribute cream cheese cubes over the bread cube layer; sprinkle 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries atop cream cheese layer. Layer the remaining bread cubes over strawberry layer.
- Pour half & half into a blender; pulse for a few seconds. Blend eggs into half & half until fully incorporated. Add maple syrup and blend until smooth. Pour mixture evenly over bread mixture. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove baking dish from refrigerator 45 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake the covered casserole in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove aluminum foil and continue baking until French toast is puffed and golden brown, about 30 more minutes.
- Stir sugar, water, and cornstarch together in a small saucepan. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes. Mix 1 cup sliced strawberries into the sugar mixture; cook and stir until strawberries are softened, about 10 minutes. Add butter and stir sauce until butter is melted.